Building Regulations

Whatever you do any kind of structural, gas or electrical updates you need to get Building Regulations sign off for your works. If you don’t have it, you’re going to hit a problem when you come to sell your house.

Most extension projects need structural work, which almost always means you’re going to be building in a load bearing structure, such as an RSJ or Laminate beam. In these cases we call in a structural engineer to provide the necessary calculations.

Generally obtaining Building Regulations sign off is part of the builder’s remit, so our services are limited to the following:

  • Identifying areas that will need sign off
  • Arranging for specialist calculations as required
  • Managing booking and fee paying under building notice/ drawings

Building regs explained

There’s a lot of confusion about what you need to do to comply with building regulations, which is understandable as they change every year, but they do cover all the main aspects of a building project.

The inspector initially will visit the site at the time the footings are dug to check they are acceptable, and will then return at different stages most notable to check:

  • Structural work, e.g. RSJs, Lintels and other joists
  • Specific construction points such as the roof structure
  • Insulation
  • Flooring
  • Ventilation
  • Completion

In addition they will require certificates of compliance from specialists suppliers including any new or replacement Windows together with new Gas and electrical installations.

You can learn more than you’re ever likely to want to know about Building regulations at the Planning Portal